This course gives students from non-European Air Navigation Service Providers the knowledge and skills they need to work as Air Traffic Controllers in a TWR environment. The course can also serve as further Rating training for Air Traffic Controllers who have been active for several years. Students who pass the course may apply for an ICAO Aerodrome Control Student Air Traffic Controller License.
After completing this course, the students:
- Have knowledge and understanding in accordance with the topics and sub-topics detailed in ICAO Annex 1.
- Have skills to perform Aerodrome Control Service in a simulated or on-the-job-training aerodrome environment safely, expeditiously, orderly, and according to rules and regulations.
- Have knowledge of the importance of teamwork and of human factors related issues that can affect personal and team performance.
The standard course is approximately 8 weeks in duration. The first 2 weeks focus on theoretical knowledge and team-building activities. After the theoretical part, the students apply their knowledge in the practical simulator training.
We deliver the theoretical part of the course through a blend of classroom training, group work, and discussions. Throughout the course, eLearning elements allow a flexible learning environment as students can participate in these lessons online. During the theoretical training, the students develop teamwork skills that help them perform in the practical training in the simulator.
The practical simulator training is divided into phases, to allow the students to slowly develop their skills. Students first master individual skills for topics mentioned under ‘Content in Brief’, after which we gradually introduce exercises with more complex situations, more traffic, and new elements (such as unusual and emergency events).
Content in brief
The course covers topics such as, but not limited to:
- VFR and IFR start-ups, departures, and arrivals.
- Different types of separation methods.
- Aerodrome Control procedures with and without Radar.
- Normal aerodrome control procedures with VFR traffic.
- Unusual and emergency situations.
Completion of our Air Traffic Control Assistant/Basic Induction, ICAO 051 course, or equivalent.
Compliance with regulations
The course is compliant with ICAO standards and recommended practices.
- Air Traffic Control Assistant/Basic Induction, ICAO 051
- Download info
Request information about