This course gives students from non-European Air Navigation Service Providers the knowledge and skills they need to work as Air Traffic Controllers in an Area Control Radar environment. The course can also serve as further Rating training for Air Traffic Controllers who have been active for several years. Students who pass the course may apply for an ICAO Area Control Radar student air traffic controller license.
After completion of this course, the students:
- Have knowledge and understanding in accordance with the topics and sub-topics detailed in ICAO Annex 1.
- Have skills to perform Area Control Radar Service in an area control environment safely, expeditiously, orderly and according to rules and regulations.
- Have knowledge of the importance of teamwork and of human factors related issues that can affect personal and team performance.
The standard course is 8-9 weeks in duration. If it is the first course that the students take after the Air Traffic Control Assistant/Basic Induction, ICAO 051 course, they need one week of simulator introduction.
The first week of this course focuses on theoretical knowledge and team-building activities. After the theoretical part, the students apply their knowledge in the practical simulator training.
We deliver the theoretical part of the course through a blend of classroom training, group work, and discussions. Throughout the course, e-learning elements allow a flexible learning environment as students can participate in these lessons online. During the theoretical training, the students develop teamwork skills that help them perform in the practical training in the simulator.
The practical simulator training is divided into phases, to allow the students to slowly develop their skills. Students first master individual skills for topics mentioned under ‘Content in Brief’, after which we gradually introduce exercises with more complex situations, more traffic, and new elements (such as unusual and emergency events).
Content in brief
The course covers topics such as, but not limited to:
- General non-complex Area Control traffic.
- Vertical and horizontal separation.
- Airspace regulations, procedures, conflict area, and simulator systems.
- Unusual and emergency situations.
Completion of our Air Traffic Control Assistant/Basic Induction, ICAO 051 course, or equivalent.
Compliance with regulations
The course is compliant with ICAO standards and recommended practices.
ICAO 054 (AREA)
- Air Traffic Control Assistant/Basic Induction, ICAO 051
- Download info
Request information about
ICAO 054 (AREA)