The Basic FIS course is designed for students who have been selected by Air Navigation Service Providers to become:
- Flight Information Service Officers in an en-route or aerodrome environment
- Air Traffic Controller Assistants, Flight Data Operators/Assistants/Officers, or similar
- Aeronautical Information Service Officers
The course gives students a basic understanding of Air Navigation Services in general and Air Traffic Services specifically. Students who pass the course may progress further on to Rating Training courses or directly to Unit Training.
After completing this course, the students:
- Have knowledge that is compliant with the relevant parts of the basic training objectives specified Annex 1 to Regulation (EU) 2015/340 outlined under ‘Content in brief’.
- Further developed this knowledge during practical exercises and, when possible, study visits.
- Understand the importance of teamwork and the significance of human factors within the ATS environment.
The course duration is eight weeks. It is conducted mainly as theoretical classroom training, which involves a high degree of student interaction through discussions and practical exercises. During weekly progress review meetings, we meet each student individually to recap the material and give further explanations if he or she needs it.
The Basic FIS course shares many topics with other types of training such as pilot training. For students with prior knowledge, we can design a customised version of the course.
Content in brief
The course covers topics such as, but not limited to:
- Air Traffic Management
- Aviation Law
- Equipment and systems
- Human Factors
Students are not required to have completed any other courses before they can start the Basic ATS course. We do however recommend an English language proficiency resembling ICAO level 4 or higher, as well as thorough student selection.
Compliance with regulations
- Compliant with the relevant parts of Commission Regulation (EU) No 2015/340 – Module content and objectives as specified in AMC1 ATCO.D.010(a)(1) Composition of initial training – Basic training.
- Partly compliant with EUROCONTROL AIS training Guidelines, Basic AIS Training Edition 1.0.
- Partly compliant with ICAO’s recommendations for ATS training (ICAO Annex 1 and ICAO Course 051).
- Fully compliant with Danish Basic FIS ATS course objectives, Danish common core content, initial training issued in September 2013.
- Approved by the Swedish, Norwegian, and Danish National Supervisory Authorities.
- Download info
Request information about