AIR TRAFFIC CONTROL ASSISTANT/BASIC INDUCTION, ICAO 051
Course aim The course is designed to provide the students with a comprehensive introduction to Air Traffic Services in general and to develop specific theoretical skills in Air Traffic Services procedures and techniques required as essential base knowledge prior to rating training.
Course objectives After completion of the course, the ATC student will have:
- Knowledge and understanding in accordance with the topics and sub-topics detailed in ICAO Annex 1.
- Knowledge of the Tower, Approach and Area Control practical training environments.
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of teamwork and the significance of human factors within the ATC environment.
Theory A number of the course’s theoretical components are similar to the requirements for pilot training because of the close inter relationship within the aviation environment.
During the course students will learn: Aviation Law, Rules of the Air, Air Traffic Management, Principles of Flight, Aircraft Equipment and Systems, ATM Equipment and systems, Communication, Human Factors, Meteorology and Navigation.
Simulator training Within a simplified generic training environment students will learn about Tower, Approach and Area control.
Prerequisites English language proficiency (minimum ICAO level 4).
Compliance with regulations
- The course is compliant with ICAO standards and recommended practices.
- Entry Point North training academy is certified by the Swedish CAA.
Objectives in brief
Introduction to the module Content, duration, documentation, examination procedures, and social events.
- Rules of the Air
- Human factors
- Equipment and systems
- Airspace management
- Airspace users
- ATC Licensing
- International organisations
- Alerting service
- Tower familiarisation
- Area Control Surveillance familiarisation
- Approach Control Surveillance familiarisation
- Appreciate the co-operation between Tower and Approach units.
- Appreciate the co-operation between Area and Approach units.
Study visit To a control tower and/or area control centre.
Examination Final written examination.
Feedback to students Continuous feedback on performance will be provided by the instructors and the course supervisor.