Test aim The test is aimed to assess the English proficiency level of air traffic controllers, operational flight crew, ATS personnel or students who need to meet the English language ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements. The test assesses the candidate’s abilities based on the following six ICAO language proficiency requirements: Pronunciation, Structure, Vocabulary, Fluency, Comprehension and Interactions. Completion of the test leads to an English Proficiency certificate.
Test background From 5th of March 2008 according to ICAO Doc 9835 it is mandatory for air traffic controllers, operational flight crew and other ATS personnel to demonstrate minimum level 4 English proficiency.
The English Proficiency test was developed by the Swedish CAA (2008) in cooperation with Mayflower College in the United Kingdom. The test is fully compliant with ICAO Doc 9835 and is accepted by civil aviation authorities in various countries (Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Dubai, Turkey, Estonia, etc).
Test overview The test takes approximately 30 minutes and can be delivered at the Entry Point North training academy or at customer premises. The test consists of three parts - each designed to provide an opportunity to evaluate language proficiency across the full range of the candidate’s abilities. Language proficiency in common, concrete or work related topics, and when confronted with a linguistic, situational complication or an unexpected turn of events are covered in the assessment.
The test consists of:
- Part 1: Work-related Interview
- Part 2: Interactive Comprehension
- Part 3: Description & Discussion
The test format and type of tasks are standardised. The test tasks develop in complexity as the candidate progresses through the test.
Evaluation The candidate is graded in the six different areas of the ICAO language proficiency requirements:
The candidate is awarded a score of 1 - 6 for each of the six skills. The total test score equals the lowest score in any of six areas. The minimum operational level according to ICAO requirements is 4.
Compliance with regulations
- The test is approved by the Swedish CAA and accepted in many countries.
- The test is fully compliant with ICAO Doc 9835 (Manual on the Implementation of ICAO Language Proficiency Requirements).
- Instructors at Entry Point North are certified English assessors approved by the Swedish CAA.
References Entry Point North has successfully conducted English proficiency tests for:
- Pilots from SAS, Cimber-Sterling, Fly Dubai, Turkish Airlines etc.
- Students and operational ATCOs and ATS officers in Sweden, Norway and Denmark.
- HIGHEST QUALITY. Assessors at Entry Point North are highly skilled professionals – all approved by the Swedish CAA. Moreover, 3 years experience of conducting the test has proved its results to be solid, reliable and recognised internationally.
- MOBILITY and COST EFFICIENCY. Tests can be performed almost anywhere and take only 30 minutes.