Course aim The aim of the General English Training course is to provide the participants with the necessary skills and knowledge required to start the Aviation English courses.
Course objectives After completing the course, participants have:
- The necessary English language base to confidently communicate in real-life situations
- The ability to clearly understand instructions and participate fully in subsequent Aviation English training
Course overview The course comprises classroom training consisting of:
- Role-play exercises
- Pair work
- Discussions on various aviation-related topics
- Language training games
The training is based on a course book and supplementary material. A placement test comprising reading, writing, listening and speaking will be administrated prior to the start of the course. This will enable to design a course precisely adapted to particular students’ abilities.
As the communication in aviation is predominantly oral and often lacks visual contact between interlocutors, the course seeks to enhance participants’ listening comprehension, vocabulary and speaking skills. Based on client´s request the focus can also lie on grammar, extended reading and task-relevant writing.
Course duration is dependent on individual needs. The minimum recommended number of contact hours is 30, based on two-hour sessions twice a week. However, longer or more intensive courses are available as required, i.e. a tailor-made course can be offered to meet individual client needs.
Content in brief Course content varies with student needs and skills. The placement test establishes the level at which individual students are to begin their studies.
Typical content includes:
- Tenses with particular emphasis on the present perfect and the present and past continuous
- Common irregular verb forms
- Auxiliary and modal verbs
- Passive verb forms
- Aviation-relevant vocabulary, including nominal compounding and phrasal verbs
- Pronunciation at sub-lexical, lexical, phrasal and sentential levels
- Basic sentence and question structures
- Exposure to a broad range of varieties of spoken English
- Discourse markers
- Planning and structuring short, factual texts and brief, oral presentations
Course benefits PREMIUM TRAINING QUALITY. Modern training philosophy, methods and experienced professionals
MOBILITY. The course can be delivered almost anywhere according to the client´s wishes
FLEXIBILITY. General English Training can be flexibly designed to meet individual client needs