Course aim The Interview Techniques course addresses personnel conducting interviews and selection of candidate ATCO students or other applicants within Air Navigation Service Providers (ANSPs) and other organisations. The course can be particularly beneficial for smaller organisations dealing with personal interviews, but not having the required expertise.The course provides the participants with the basic knowledge of the interview techniques and practises the skills needed to conduct a structured competence-based interview.
Course objectives After completing the course, the participants shall:
- Have an improved understanding of the recruitment process
- Understand why it is important to conduct recruitment in a structured way
- Be able to lead a structured interview in order to assess the required competences
- Understand and be able to identify the competences assessed during the interview
- Have the skills and knowledge to make an objective decision after the interview
Course overview The duration of the course is 3 days. The training is a combination of theoretical and practical interview exercises. The exercises are filmed and followed by a feedback session.
Upon a successful completion of the training, the course participants are awarded a diploma. A tailor-made course can be offered according to individual client needs.
Prerequisites There are no prerequisites for this course, a professional interest in interview techniques will be a benefit.
Content in brief The course is structured to cover all phases of the interview process - before, during and after the interview. The topics are divided and presented accordingly:
1. Before the interview
- The recruitment process in general
- Reasons to conduct an interview in a structured way
- Establishment of the competence and skills needed
- Preparation for an interview
2. During the interview
- Interview techniques
- STAR technique
- How to ask questions
- How to listen
- Psychological traps
- Body language
3. After the interview
- Reference check
- Decision making
- Feedback to a candidate
- Feedback and follow up on the interview