Course aim The Interview Techniques course addresses staff who interview and select ATCO students, as well as other types of applicants for ANSPs and a variety of other organisations. The course can be particularly beneficial for smaller organisations which have to deal with personal interviews but lack the required expertise. Course participants gain basic knowledge of interview techniques and practice the skills needed to conduct a structured competency-based interview.
After completing the course, the participants:
- Have an improved understanding of the recruitment process.
- Understand why it is important to conduct recruitment in a structured way.
- Can lead a structured interview in order to assess the required competencies.
- Can identify the competencies assessed during interviews.
- Have the skills and knowledge to make objective decisions after interviews.
Course structure The duration of the course is 3 days. The course is structured to cover all phases of the interview process - before, during, and after the interview. The training is a combination of theoretical and practical interview exercises. The exercises are filmed and followed by a feedback session.
Upon successful completion of the training, the course participants are awarded a diploma. A tailor-made course can be offered according to individual client needs.
Content in brief This course is customisable, meaning that it can cover topics such as, but not limited to:
1. Before the interview
- The recruitment process in general
- Reasons to conduct an interview in a structured way
- Establishment of the competence and skills needed
- Preparation for an interview
2. During the interview
- Interview techniques
- STAR technique
- How to ask questions
- How to listen
- Psychological traps
- Body language
3. After the interview
- Reference check
- Decision making
- Feedback to a candidate
- Feedback and follow up on the interview
Prerequisites There are no prerequisites for this course, professional interest in interview techniques is a benefit.