On-the-Job Training Instructor Course
OJTI course aim The course addresses OJTI personnel working at Air Traffic Control centers, Towers or other training situations. The aim of the course is to update and reinforce the techniques and knowledge acquired on the On-the-Job Training Instructor (OJTI) course. This course also renews the validity of the OJTI rating and aims to inspire and motivate participants to continue to work as On-the-Job Training Instructors.
Course objectives After completing the OJTI course, the participants have:
- Knowledge of fundamental adult learning theory and best practice based on a modern appreciative approach to students and how to establish a healthy learning environment.
- Knowledge and skills of modern coaching techniques, teaching methods, principles and tools in all the traditional areas of OJT: briefing, training and debriefing.
- An awareness of different OJTI styles: advantages, disadvantages and limitations of how to choose the best OJT style in a specific training situation.
- An awareness of the assessment role of the job as an OJTI, tools and methods to do the assessment objectively – how to appreciate the importance of assessment.
- An understanding about personal communication and interaction with students experiences, insights and awareness of own capabilities and challenges.
- Recognition that all students are to be considered trainable and that the OJTI has major impact on the student’s training progress.
- Knowledge of report writing.
Course overview The OJTI course duration is five days - each day contains a half day of theory lectures and discussions followed by simulator practice.
Continuous assessment is applied. The course participants will show their ability to work according to the training structure in the practical exercises and show a positive and open minded attitude towards student training.
Prerequisites Qualification as an air traffic controller or other ATM personnel with at least two years of operational experience.
Compliance with regulations
- Compliant with the Commission Regulation (EU) No 2015/340.
- Based on Eurocontrol Guidelines for ATCO Development Training OJTI Course Syllabus, edition number 2.0, date 27.08.2009.
- Approved by the Swedish CAA.
Content in brief
Introduction Understanding the structure, content and principles of the successful OJTI training program.
Training philosophy Appreciating the impact of modern training philosophy on structuring and delivering the training.
Human factors Understanding the human factors concerning teaching and learning, team work, communication and stress that all have an impact upon training.
Training techniques Applying the appropriate On-the-Job Training techniques during co-operation agreements, briefing, training and debriefing.
Assessment methods and report writing Appreciating the importance of the assessment procedure and have knowledge of how training reports should be written.
References Entry Point North successfully conducted OJTI courses for Avinor (Norway), LFV (Sweden), Naviair (Denmark), VFK (Denmark), LGS (Latvia), HungaroControl (Hungary), IAA (Ireland), GCAA (Ghana), NANSC (Egypt), CAMIC (China), among others.
- PREMIUM TRAINING QUALITY. Modern training philosophy, tools and methods, academy developed practical course handbook.
- MOBILITY. The course can be delivered almost anywhere according to the wish of the customer.
- COST EFFICIENCY. The course is only 5 working days in length.
- FLEXIBILITY. A tailor-made course according to customer needs can be offered.