Refresher training reviews, reinforces, and upgrades participants’ existing knowledge and skills. There are various cases in which this training may be needed, for example:
- Students whose training has been discontinuous.
- Air traffic controllers who have been away from the controller job or have been assigned other work tasks for an extended period of time.
- To support activities described in a unit competence scheme.
We can design any refresher course according to the client’s specific requirements, regarding course content, duration, number of participants, topics covered during the course, etc. The course is typically divided into theoretical lessons and practical hands-on simulation exercises.
The theoretical part of the course covers the topics that need to be refreshed, depending on the individual needs of participants.
The training can be conducted in a generic airspace or in a simulation of the relevant airspace (which we can develop on request).
Content in brief
The course covers topics such as, but not limited to:
- Standard practices and procedures training, using approved phraseology and effective communication.
- Unusual and emergency situations training, using approved phraseology and effective communication.
- Unusual Situations Training focuses on circumstances that are neither routinely nor commonly experienced, and for which an air traffic controller has not developed automatic skills. This includes degraded situations (a result of a technical system failure or human error).
- Emergency Training enhances air traffic controllers’ performance in case of emergencies when immediate action is required. The theoretical part of this training typically covers selected topics from the internationally recognised ASSIST checklist, the Eurocontrol 16 scenarios (e.g. electrical problems, bird strike, brake problems), and/or topics according to customer requirements. Both the theoretical and practical parts of the course are based on the Eurocontrol Guidelines for Controller Training in the Handling of Unusual/Emergency Situations.
- Human factors training.
- Operational ATC background.
- English language skills at ICAO level 4 or higher.
Compliance with regulations
The course is available in different formats at the client’s request, including full compliance with Commission Regulation EU 2015/340 for the required rating/endorsement.